Subscribe:

Labels

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

For the Love of the Game

      Trip down to memory lane, I used to remember how my sisters, cousins and I play badminton in our neighborhood. Considering that I live in Baguio, so just imagine how difficult it is to play on those slopes. These were the type of rackets and shuttle cocks we used during those times.  I couldn’t recall how much these cost but who cares as long as we had fun!





      I started playing Badminton, the “real thing” in the Philippines in 2005 when one of my friends dragged me to play after work. I was hesitant at first since I was not the sporty type.  Honestly, I would rather cuddle myself in bed during cold nights in Baguio than sweat.  After several sessions, I found the game rather fun and interesting.  All these years, I still couldn’t believe that we even represented our company during a tournament in Baguio.  Those were the days! =)  
     
       Being away from my family, I found this sport very helpful and somehow became, and still is, my outlet that keeps my mind off the feeling of homesickness.  It was during my second year in Singapore that I got hooked playing.  It’s a fact that Badminton is a popular fast-paced indoor sport. To be successful in badminton one needs excellent court speed and agility, with a good background of endurance, also strength and flexibility also important.   Unlike others, I didn't have formal trainings.  What for if my objective is just to have fun and do a bit of regular exercise?

      I normally watch youtube to somehow pick-up tricks.  The best thing is - it's FREE! =)


 
My personal favorite : Coaching Badminton Series of Videos! =)  



You can search YouTube for more Videos



       I consider myself lucky and was able to be part of a group named PinoySG Badminton Club.  This is an all-Filipino group based in Singapore which I consider my 2nd family. I have joined the group since 2007 and have gained good friends from there.  Considering it as a huge group with about 150 members, around half of it are active, thus, we have 4 major officers who help facilitate the club. We regularly meet up for fun matches on Saturdays, but if time permits, we have weekdays and Sunday fun match as well.  Sometimes, we also call ourselves Baddicts - Badminton Addicts!


      We are also active in participating Open Tournaments composed of different Filipino groups in Singapore. Talking through experience, it’s a great exposure since events as such create camaraderie among our Filipino community.  

Please feel free to subscribe and leave comments.  =)


0 comments:

Post a Comment