Subscribe:

Labels

Thursday, November 22, 2012

MC Hammer @ 2012 AMA


     The 40th American Music Awards was shown in the US last November 18, and I missed the live telecast.  I read in the news that Psy performed with a surprise guest - MC Hammer!  Wow!  I was lucky enough to catch the rerun last Tuesday and waited oh-so-patiently for Psy to perform.  The wonder twins watched with me, they were excited about Psy, I was excited to see Hammer (talk about generation gap!).

     And finally, after listening to Carly Ray Jepsen sing off key, and Kelly Clarkson wow everyone with her powerful voice, and Justin Bieber winning the major awards (scoffs at his detractors too), Psy came out with his trademark Gangnam Style song/dance.  The wonder twins gleefully watch while I waited with bated breath for MC Hammer.  Then the lights dimmed... and there he was!  The audience screamed and I heard myself screaming with them.  Psy and MC Hammer danced to 2 Legit 2 Quit/Gangnam Style mash up.  What a performance!  It was electric! When it was over, we all jumped and clapped, adrenaline coursing through our veins - it was sssoooo worth the wait :)


     MC Hammer (real name Stanley Kirk Burrell) was at the peak of his career during the late 80's to mid 90's, prominently known for his dancing (and those parachute pants), churning out hits like

2 Legit 2 Quit


U can't touch this


Pray


Pumps and a Bump 


Addams Groove



    Unfortunately, mismanagement of his fortune - lavish lifestyle (?), burgeoning staff, caused him to file for bankruptcy in 1996.  We didn't hear from him for a while.  Then, Ellen had him as a guest in 2009 where it seems he was still active... on twitter!


     Oprah Winfrey featured him in the Oprah Show in 2011 "Whatever Happened to MC Hammer?".  Apparently, apart from being such a great dancer, hip hop artist, a devout Christian & family man (been married to the same woman for 27 years), he's also a super geek!  Ha!  Who would have thought? 

     I do hope we'll hear more from him again soon.  "U can't touch this" will always be in my ipod/iphone.  Now, if only I can learn his moves... or am I too old for that?? :)







0 comments:

Post a Comment